Most hotels have realised by now that being on Facebook is not an option anymore yet a must-do. While, so it seems, the majority of hotels or hotel brands does have a Facebook page, the intensity and creativity of the use of Social Media, and Facebook in particular, differs dramatically.
The following ones do really great, for instance:
There are, of course, many more that stand out positively. Which ones do you like? Feel free to share the links to their Facebook pages in the comments.
Other hotels, it seems, do lack a Facebook strategy. They do post, mainly promote their offers and sometimes post something very far fetched. The result: The engagement of their fans (let‘s call them fans as long as there is no better name), is rather low. Facebook veterans, however, know that this number is way more important than the actual number of fans. Indeed, the first one will help grow the second.
So, here are some ideas to post on your page which can help you to increase fan engagement. They have been tested by hotels before:
- Link to guest comments from review sites such as TripAdvisor: If you do reply to negative reviews in a good way, why not link to those bad comments as well? Yet also offline comments can be shared, as the Hotel Bonnington Jumeirah Lakes Towers in Dubai shows with their great invention Guest Comments Wednesday. It is a bit of work to scan the comments and to black-out names, yet it is very personal.
- Surveys: Ask your fanbase about their opinion on e.g. menu items, names for new products etc.
- Lucky draws: Let‘s face it, they still work. Just ensure you use a fair system with chances to win for everyone. And be creative with what you offer as prizes as well as what you ask your fans to do to win. Also, be aware of the Facebook promotion guidelines and ensure you comply with them.
- Keep a social calendar and post e.g. wishes for National Holidays: The better you match them to your fanbase (check the countries your fans are from in your insights), the more reactions you will get.
- Photos always do work very well: Try to post photos with people on it (check if they are ok with it and avoid tagging unless they agree). If you post photos from staff events, your employees will be delighted and will spread the word. Additionally, the public can see what a great place to work your hotel is.
- Encourage your fans to post something personal like a picture of their pet, their favourite cocktail recipe or a photo of them on holiday or in your hotel.
- Promote other businesses rather than your own. You can feature your suppliers, a partner hotel in another country, an event in the city or something you found while being online. Anything that seems worth sharing and that creates emotions.
- Videos are cool as long as they are not too long. Why don‘t you record one in your hotel with a simple webcam or your smart phone and upload it. Do put it on YouTube (if you do not have a channel – get one now!) and link to it on your page. Alternatively, you can upload it to Facebook directly. Or do both. Have a look at the page of the hotel nhow Berlin for some cool music videos.
- Post job vacancies in your own hotel and make sure you encourage your fans to tell their friends as well. Or ask them for candidate recommendations they can send by e-mail to keep them private.
- Do post something about your hotel promotions (F&B activities, packages etc.) from time to time. You can just post it, link to your website, write a note, upload a video or create an event. After all, your fans want to be informed what is going on there and do want to come there once a while. They wouldn‘t be fans if they didn‘t, would they? Stick to the 80/20 rule and hence only promote your hotel directly at a rate of 20 %. Fill the other 80 % with the above.
Why don‘t you try those things and let us know how they worked? Leave your mark in the comments or use the Facebook page to post your feedback: www.facebook.com/kommboutique
Would you like to know how to leverage the posts on your Facebook page? Click here for some simple yet effective tricks.
Share your view:
Do you have better ideas for posts on hotel Facebook pages? What other things have you tried and tested that worked very well? Or what did not work at all?